Text for p. 432

              JULIAN OF YESTERYEAR
The only sign now of Julian, a pioneer town still remembered by older settlers here, is the Julian Erickson home, which once housed the postoffice, and an old cellarhole or two about one quarter of a mile east of it. Once Tom Smith operated a blacksmith shop in Julian, Cora Anderson - a dance hall, Lucille Vahl - a grocery store, Sam McKackney - a beer parlor, Barney Miller - a lumber yard, and Julian Erickson operated the postoffice. But Julian never had a railroad.
Mail was first hauled on a stoneboat from Poplar or Old Scobey by Frank (Fatty) Merrill, brother of Silas Merrill.
Living room in Theodore's home � the Julian Post Office.
Julian Erickson School 1920's taught by Delia Linguist.
Carrie Erickson � first postmistress at the town of Julian.
The first postmistress was Mrs. Carrie Erickson, and the second one was her daughter Clare, now Mrs. Clare Ricker. Later Tannehills took charge of it and had it in their store.
The store at Julian was first run by 'Cile Vahl, and while there she met and married C.F. (Bud) Tannehill. The Whitetail Courier for 1918 has an ad for gopher poison sold at Julian, Montana by Tannehill & Vahl.
Living at Julian, perhaps near that store, was Tom Smith, who had a blacksmith shop there. His wife, Martha, died here and he moved to Scobey. Barney C. Miller ran the lumber yard.
This old store was the last building left standing in Julian for some years. Some here can remember when Bert Mendenhall had Sunday School in it. Miny Mindenhall's wife and her mother, Mrs. Burroughs, taught classes. People came by horse-and-buggy. Rev. Reuben Dutton, serving the Whitetail-Flaxville-Julian circuit for the Methodist church, probably had his semi-monthly preaching services here. This work was discontinued in 1919 by reason of continuous drought and fewer people in the area.
Theodore Erickson was here several years before the land was opened to homesteaders. Only ranchers who had cattle or sheep lived in that part of the state. When homesteaders came, they were called "nesters". Said Hoke Smith to one homesteader: "We've got a new law in Montana; the nesters have got to roll up their fence when they leave."
Theodore, single, built a good farm home for his parents and their family. It later was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Julian Erickson and stands in good condition today. The first post office was in this home, and the old post office boxes and service window are still there.
Settlers recall some families whose stories aren't here; among them are the Ray Arnesons, Dennis McDowell, LA. Spencers, and the Charlie Vanness family.
Mrs. Scharnatta visiting Dena Huso at Oscar's place � 1914.
� 432 �               
  •  
Loading content ...
Hide

Daniels County History

1027 total pages