Montana Meme-ory Contest
And the 2022 winners are:
Please keep a few things in mind when creating your entries:
- No swearing, crude language, or mean-spirited entries will be accepted (we are a community, after all).
- Do not personally attack the people in the historical images in Montana Memory Project. They could be someone’s grandparents!
- Be thoughtful about the entries you create—we want to share them with the world and think you can come up with some funny, smart entries.
FIND YOUR IMAGE:
Browse the images in MMP. Once you have identified an image, click the “download” button in the column to the left of the image.
Once you have found the image you would like to use, save the link to that image as you will need that link when submitting your entry.
CREATE YOUR MEME:
Go to your preferred meme generator to upload your image from MMP. We recommend https://memebetter.com/generator or https://imgflip.com/memegenerator. Add your text to the image and save it to your device.
SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
Submit your entry by emailing it to the link based on your age group:
10-18 - Submit here if you are between 10 and 18 years old
19-40 - Submit here if you are between 19 and 40 years old
41-120 - Submit here if you are between 41 and 120 years old
If you have trouble with the above links, you can send your submission to email@example.com with the subject line: Historical Photo Meme Contest . For your entry to be considered you must include the following information:
- Your name
- Your meme as an attachment
- A link to the original image in the MMP
- Your age group:
HOW TO WIN!
- DEADLINE: Submit your entry by Friday, May 13, 2022.
- FINALISTS SELECTION: Library staff members will review entries and publish the finalists.
- On Wednesday May 18, 2022 finalists will be notified via email that their entry has been selected for the final round. The finalists’ entries will be posted to a collection on the MMP site and opened for voting.
- VOTING: The voting period will run from Friday, May 20 – Friday, May 27, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (MST). The winning memes will be the top two entries in each age group with the most “likes” at the time the voting period ends. Voting is open to all.
WHAT WILL I WIN?
The top meme creators will win gifts from our generous sponsors!
Montana Historical Society and Montana Outdoors Magazine
First place in each age group will receive:
- 4 buy-one-get-one-free admission tickets to the Montana Historical Society Museum
- 4 buy-one-get-one-free admission tickets to the Original Governor’s Mansion
- Charlie Russell - Roundup Print
- Stan Lynde Print
- Spring 2022 Issue of the Montana Magazine of Western History
- 7 Montana themed postcards
- Montana Historical Society Pencil
- Historic Helena Walking Tour book by Ellen Baumler
- Camp to Capital Book – Step into Helena’s Past by Ellen Baumler
- Talking Stick made by Blackfeet/Assiniboine Karen Dragonfly
- History is Cool fan
Second place in each group will receive:
- 1 Montana Outdoors t-shirt
- 1 Montana Outdoors photo issue
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
There is no fee to participate in the Montana State Library’s Historical Photograph Meme Contest (“Contest”).
There is no restriction on the number of entries a participant can submit.
Montana State Library does not endorse the content of any memes created for this Contest other than finalists’ entries.
We have the right to reject submissions for violations of, but not limited to, inappropriate content, defamation, or copyright issues.
The Montana State Library reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at its sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
The Montana State Library reserves the right not to select finalists if, at its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
Entering the Contest grants the Montana State Library permission to make public and otherwise use an entrant’s name and meme for publicity purposes.
Participation constitutes the entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. By participating in the Contest, the entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between the entrant and the Montana State Library in relation to the Contest. They govern the entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the entrant and the Montana State Library relating to the Contest.
Annual Picture Prompt Writing Contest
Get your story writing skills ready! The Montana Memory Project is hosting the 2nd Annual Photo Prompt contest. Using any photo in the MMP collection participants will write a short story (650 words or less) and submit it to the MMP. Winners will be chosen from grades 3-6, grades 7-12 and adult.The deadline to enter is March 11, 2022.
Where to begin? Browse the photo collection to find an interesting photo. Once you've found an image save the link to that image - you'll need it when submitting your story.If the entire collection is too overwhelming try one of these smaller collections:
How to Enter: Write a short story based on the photo (650 words or less). Email your entry to the Montana Memory Project (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line Photo Prompt Writing Contest.In the message include your full name, age group category and link to the image. Remember, the entry deadline is March 11, 2022.
See our Newsletter for the full details.